The Man for America
Sam Houston's States
- Tennessee--Houston grew up with Tennessee. He moved there as a boy. He was Congressman from that state. He was governor.
- Texas--Houston was the father of Texas. He led the troops to battle and forged a nation from a rough frontier.
- California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado--Because Houston won Texas, the United States won the Southwest. This area was ceded by Mexico in 1848.
- Alabama--Sam Houston led the charge in the War with the Creek Indians in Alabama in 1814 that opened that state to settlers. His wife Margaret was from Alabama.
- Florida--Events following the Creek Indian War led to the annexation of Florida.
- Oklahoma and Arkansas--Houston lived here with the Cherokee Indians in the 1820s, and was a force for Cherokee rights.
- Louisiana--He was a young soldier here and a frequent visitor.
- Virginia--Houston was born here in 1793.