Using These Files
The Pioneer Spirit is designed as a
starting point for developing a study into what
makes a pioneer. Teaching ideas and historical
background included on this site are available to
supplement your study. Aids on this site include:
- The History of the Caruth Family -- One of the
great pioneer stories of Texas.
- Famous Pioneers -- Short biographies of some
famous pioneers. These are for classroom use and
to launch a library research project.
- Essay Topics -- A list of essay possibilities
on pioneering. These are excellent for student
- Pioneering in the News -- Excerpts on what the
early critics wrote about some of the great
inventions. These reports were not always
optimistic and were often understated.
- Classroom Activities -- A large number of
creative classroom ideas for all ages.
- Quizzes -- Testing resources for teachers.
There is a Video Quiz that can be
used for classroom use along with the video.
Also, there is a Pioneer Quiz to test
your students on some of the great pioneering
ventures of our times.